RPGaDAY2015: Favorite RPG Illustration

I can't really think of one favorite RPG illustration. This has nothing to do with choosing your "favorite child" or whatever, but a matter of "I've been playing role-playing games for too damned long to give an accurate answer". I mean I'm sure if I had the time to go through all of them, I'd eventually pick one, but then I'd probably just wake up sweaty at three in the goddamn morning with the realization that I'd "chosen poorly".

Instead, I'll just give you my two favorite artists: Tony DiTerlizzi and Wayne Reynolds, both of which I like for different reasons and at different times. Brom is up there, but I haven't seen anything from him since Alternity, as is Michael Komarck. Melissa reminded me that I also like Mike Mignola, but he's not an RPG artist and so doesn't count.

What originally got me into Dungeons & Dragons was, in a circuitous way, Tony DiTerlizzi. I started playing Magic: the Gathering, and while rummaging through an issue of Scrye came across an interview with Tony about the Blood Wars card game. I remember digging the art (but I don't remember what it was), and eventually figured out that Blood Wars was related to Planescape, which was a campaign setting for Dungeons & Dragons, which was enough for me to want to play it.

I mostly started playing 2nd Edition (though I also got whatever box had Escape from Zanzer Tem's Dungeon), and distinctly recall only liking Tony's illustrations in the Monster Manual: the gnoll, hobgoblin, kobold, mind flayer, medusa, carrion crawler, troll, and so on. Everything else was rubbish, to the point where my kid brain didn't even want to use any of the other monsters. I did—shame he didn't do any of the dragons—I just didn't want to if I could avoid it.

I was actually disappointed when I finally picked up Planescape Campaign Setting, as many of his illustrations seemed unfinished, sloppy, rushed, etc. It'd be great to see a re-released campaign setting, featuring all new, better quality art from him.



Wayne Reynolds took a bit to grow on me. I remember originally seeing his black and white stuff in 3rd Edition's Tome & Blood. I didn't like it at the time, but I think once I'd seen some of his color work I started to. His illustration for Age of Worms is what got me to subscribe to Dungeon again, and I even went back and bought all of the Age of Worms issues to run the adventure path (got over half of the way through before we stopped).


Announcements
We've just unleashed The Rakshasa upon Dungeon World.

Lichfield is available for public consumption. If you want a concise adventure with a Silent Hill feel, be sure to check it out! Primordial Machine is also out, so if you want to catch a glimpse of A Sundered World, now's your chance! Finally, we've updated If These Stones Could Scream.

The Dungeon World GM Screen is currently available in pdf and landscape insert formats. No matter which you choose, you get eight sets of pdfs that let you have access to the screen in both landscape and portrait orientation, in color or black and white, and with or without art.

We're waiting on the portrait inserts. Assuming they look good, they'll be available soon. They're now available.

Next up, mini screen!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.