Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle GenCon Exclusive

If you have not already heard, at this year's GenCon GaleForce Nine is offering an exclusive book containing some pre-generated characters, and four adventures intended to run you from level 1 to 10, and the winning sheet from the character sheet contest.

Oh, and if you pre-order it you also get a free mini.

A lot of people are understandably miffed that this is going to be a GenCon exclusive. I do not see any reason for it, as people might be able to afford a $30 book, but not the ticket prices, possibly travel fees, and/or the ability to skip out on work for a few days. Really, all GaleForce Nine is doing is missing out on more money.

Though I am interested in the book, as with the aforementioned others I do not live anywhere close to Indiana, and I also cannot afford to set aside time to go. What I am able to do is pay the price of the book, plus shipping and handling, plus something extra for the effort.

So if you are going and do not care one whit about the book, or knows someone that is going that does not care about the book, and want to do me a favor let me know in the comments. Heck, if you want to go and cannot afford to I would even be willing to pay for a one-day badge (which I think is $30-40).

3 comments:

  1. The only thing I can think is that they don't want to sell it at large since the product isn't finished. This is effectively a beta thing- but I hate missing out on adventures. They are the biggest thing that I find myself re-using as I move from one game to another. It would be nice if they'd re-publish it when the game is launched, but I really doubt that will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did not Paizo release Beta versions of Pathfinder? Making this a GenCon exclusive seems like a very short-sighted move on WotC's part, as this would have been a great way to rake in some easy cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not forget that they WILL be publishing adventures based on the playtest rules, associated with the Forgotten Realms event "The Sundering", so the beta rules as reason for limited publishing is unlikely.

    However, there is a definitive possibility of a later publishing of exclusive adventures like this one, as there are plenty of previous examples: many 1st Ed adventures were edited tournament adventures that ran in conventions, and more recently Dungeon has been publishing several adventures from convention (Siege of Gardmore Abbey) and store (several seasons of Encounters) events, as well as previously exclusive products (Tomb of Horrors from the DM Incentive program).

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.